Saturday, December 31, 2011

2012: Resolutions, Goals and Purpose

2011 will be over in a few hours so as I always do, let me run down on my resolutions and goals for the coming year of the water dragon (as they say in Feng Shui). Creating lists are not required for everyone, but a lot of people still do it to guide them throughout the year or just for fun :) . A new year's resolution list is similar to that of a child's Santa Clause wishlist, a Santa Clause wishlist maybe a kiddie version of a New Year's wishlist as aspirations, goals and wants change over time.

To start off, here's my new year's resolutions:
  1. To attain financial wellness - i need to cut down on my unnecessary expenses, WHATEVER it is.
  2. To live a healthier lifestyle - minimize or ultimately quit smoking this year as i am not getting any younger anymore.
  3. Minimize tardiness - not only in work, but in other commitments, in meeting deadlines, in school work, and in the on-the-side work that i do.
  4. Read more books - though this is not a problem for me, i think i should be more open to other genres as well as not only look but MAKE time for it.
  5. Fix my desk at the office and room at home - studies show that a more organized and cleaner workplace can be more beneficial for the person.

On top of my new year's resolutions, I also have a separate list of goals for 2012:
  1. Hopefully finish my degree :) - excited about having an M.S. after my surname in due time, but diligence and patience on passing through Comprehensive Examinations and Master's Thesis within the year is the key.
  2. Learn a new language - a multilingual individual can go a long way, so as this has been always on my list each and every year, I need to do this asap so as to not lose the momentum.
  3. Travel and discover the world - Malaysia and Indonesia is within reach in the next few months. More to come for the next few years.
  4. Learn a new skill - would love to enroll in a writing or painting workshop or might go back to violin classes or learn something else. The possibilities are endless.
  5. Meet new people - to establish great friendships and network which in due time will really pay off.

However long our lists are, the very essence of it is that we have aspirations and dreams that make us live life in its fullest. It is with these dreams and aspirations where we get the ultimate source of that flame that lights a fire under our asses, the very purpose of how we want to live. Speaking of purpose, let me share with you a very good song from the 2004 Tony Awards' Best Musical Avenue Q, titled Purpose.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats! rowdy.

Milady said...

Melanie here! I enjoyed this piece, please email me--I have a question about your blog. MelanieLBowen[at]gmail[dot]com